Graduated college with a B.A. in Chemistry in 1964. Drafted into the US Army during the Vietnam War in 1965. Assigned to the Army Chemical Corps, Research and Development Division. The assignment included a year of post graduate physical chemistry at Johns Hopkins University, participating in biochemical research concerning natural toxins. This led to a publication in Nature concerning the crystallization of Phospholypase-A from Indian Cobra venom with basic research on Botulinas-A Toxin, the active agent of Botulism and the precursor of modern Botox.
Army service was followed by medical school at the University of Colorado School of Medicine from 1967 to 1971 with Honors in Pharmacology, Pediatrics, Obstetrics-Gynecology, and Internal Medicine.
Residency in Internal Medicine 1971 to 1972 at the University of Connecticut and on Ophthalmology Residency from 1972 to 1975 at the University of Colorado. Chief Resident status in 1975.
Ophthalmology Publications include 2 publications in the American Journal of Ophthalmology. One concerning the Ocular penetration of antibiotics and a second concerning complications in a diabetic with hyperosmolar coma and angle closure glaucoma.
Engaged in the private practice of comprehensive ophthalmology 1975 to the present in Norwich, Connecticut.
Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, Fellow of The New England Ophthalmologic Society, and member of Connecticut Society of Eye Physicians.
Abbreviated Curriculum Vitae
- Hope College, 1960-64, chemistry.
- Johns Hopkins, 1965, physical chemistry
- U.S. Army, 1965-67, chemical research and development.
- University of Colorado School of Medicine, 1967-71
- Honors in medicine, pharmacology, obstetrics/gynecology, and pediatrics.
- Univ. of Connecticut, Health Center, medical internship, 1971-72
- Univ. of Colorado, Health Science Center, residency in Ophthlmology, 1972-75-including a three moth elective in pediatric ophtalmology at Denver Children’s Hospital under Robert Sargent MD.
- Chief Resident, 1974-75.
- Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
- Fellow of the New England Ophthalmological Society.
- Member of the Conn. Society of Eye Physicians.
- Member of the Conn. Medical Society.
- Member of the New London County Medical Society.
- 1. American Journal of Ophthalmology, March 1976, Corneal Distribution of Subconjunctival antibiotics.
- 2. American Journal of Ophthalmology, November, April 1976, Glycerol and Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Coma.
- 3. Nature, Vol. 220, October 26, 1968., Crystalline Phospholipase Associated with a Cobra Venom Toxin.