- Anish U. Shah, MD graduated from University of Pennsylvania where he was conferred the Bachelor of Arts Degree in the double major of Biological Basis of Behavior and Psychology. Dr. Shah attended New York University’s Graduate School of Psychology in the Masters Program.
- Dr. Shah graduated from the prestigious Robert Wood Johnson Medical School of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.
- Dr. Shah completed his training in Internal Medicine at Brown University’s Roger Williams Hospital in Providence, RI and is still Board certified in Internal Medicine.
- Dr. Shah completed his training in Ophthalmology at New York Medical College which included the York Eye and Ear Infirmary in New York City and Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, NY . Dr. Shah served as Chief Resident in 2000.
- Dr. Shah joined Norwich Ophthalmology in September 2000 where he has developed extensive surgical experience in Laser Vision Correction including LASIK, PRK, and LASEK or Epi-Lasik. Dr. Shah was the first and only Board Certified Ophthalmologist in New London County to offer Refractive cataract surgery with four different implant options. Dr. Shah is certified to implant the Alcon Toric and ReSTOR Aspheric, the AMO ReZOOM, and The Bausch and Lomb Crystalens.
- Dr. Shah contributes his surgical expertise by traveling worldwide with Surgical Eye Expeditions, Inc.(www.seeintl.org), a pro bono organization that devotes its time, finances and corporate existence to eradicating blindness related to cataract surgery worldwide.
- Dr. Shah’s numerous published articles in peer reviewed journals are listed below.
- 1. Braffman, BH, Grossman, RI, Shah, A, McAllister, TW, Price, TRP, Gyulai, L, Atlas, SW, Hackney, DB, Goldberg, HI, Bilaniuk, LT. MR imaging prior to and following Electroconvulsive Therapy of patients with Major Affective Disorder. American Journal of Neuroradiology, 1988. 9: 1033.
- 2. Gyulai, L, Price, TRP, McAllister, TW, Grossman, RI, Braffman, BH, Shah, A. Brain MRI before and after Electroconvulsive Therapy. American Psychiatric Association abstract. 1988.
- 3. Price, TRP, McAllister, TW, Gyulai, L, Grossman, RI, Braffman, BH, Shah, A. MRI of Patients with Major Affective Disorder prior to and following Electroconvulsive Therapy. Biological Psychiatry abstract. 1988.
- 4. Shah, A, Weiner, FR. Effects of retinoids on collagen and Transforming Growth FactorBetal gene expression in Ito cells. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases abstract. Hepatology, 1989. 10: 630.
- 5. Weiner, FR, Shah, A, Smith, PJ, Rubin, CS, Zern, MA. Regulation of collagen gene expression in 3T3Ll cells. Effects of adipocyte differentiation and Tumor Necrosis Factoralpha. Biochemistry, 1989. 28: 40944099.
- 6. Weiner, FR, Shah, A, Czaja, MJ, Giambrone, MA, Zern, MA. Effects of Transforming Growth FactorBeta-l on Ito cell extra cellular matrix gene expression. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases abstract. Hepatology, 1989. 10: 682.
- 7. Weiner, FR, Shah, A, Biempica, L, Zern, MA, Czaja, MJ. Cellular sources of increased collagen and Transforming Growth FactorBeta-l gene expression in fibrotic rat liver. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases abstract. Hepatology, 1989. 10: 629.
- 8. Weiner, FR, Giambrone, MA, Czaja, MJ, Shah, A, Annoni, G, Zern, MA. Ito cell gene expression and collagen regulation. Hepatology, 1990. 11: 111117.
- 9. Weiner, FR, Blaner, WS, Czaja, MJ, Shah, A, Geerts, A. Ito cell expression of a nuclear retinoic acid receptor. Hepatology, 1992. 15: 336342.
- 10. Weiner, FR, Shah, A, Biempica, L, Zern, MA, Czaja, MJ. The effects of hepatic fibrosis on Ito cell gene expression. Matrix, 1992. 12: 3643.
- 11. Reichman, WE, Coyne, A, Shah, A. Diagnosis of MultiInfarct Dementia: Predictive value of clinical Criteria. American Association of Geriatric Psychiatry abstract. 1992.
- 12. Reichman, WE, Coyne, A, Shah, A. Diagnosis of MultiInfarct Dementia: Predictive value of clinical Criteria. Perception and Motor Skills, 1993. 76(3): 793-794.
- 13. Shah, A, O’Dowd, P. Case report: Patient with exaggerated natriuresis. American College of Physicians abstract. 1996.
- 14. Shah, A, Zaidman, G. Extended course of Moraxella keratitis. In progress.
- 15. Shah, A, Josephberg, RG. Cryopexy in the treatment of Pars Planitis. Arvo poster 2000.
- 16. Shah, A, Forman, S. Neuro-Ophthalmic Complications of Coronary Artery Bypass Graft surgery: Patient series and Review. In progress.
- 17. Chaudhry NA, Lavaque AJ, Shah A, Liggett PE. Photodynamic therapy for choroidal neovascular membrane secondary to optic nerve drusen. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2005 Jan-Feb;36(1):70-2.
- 1. Shah, A. Ocular Manifestations of HIV Infection. Chapter in WHO Manual, Presentations of HIV for the Health Care Professional. 1997.
- Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Fellow of the American Board of Internal Medicine
- Fellow of American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Member of the New England Ophthalmology Society (Website Committee member)
- Executive Committee Member of the Connecticut Society of Eye Physicians
- Commentator on Ophthalmic issues for WICH 1320 AM
- Consultant/Lecturer for Meda Pharmaceuticals, Inspire Pharmaceuticals, Bausch & Lomb, and Vistakon
- Editorial Advisory Board Member of the Norwich Bulletin
- Traveling Pro Bono Surgeon for Surgical Eye Expeditions, Inc
- Current Chief of Ophthalmology at William W. Backus Hospital
- Foreign languages spoken: Gujarati, Hindi, French and Spanish